Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Summer Solstice

I guess today is supposed to be the longest day of the year. I could tell. I’m starting to hate the sun. It came out real early and I’m sure it’ll set pretty late. It’s nothing new. It’s been clear and sunny like I’ve said before. Summer is definitely here.

I got some letters today. I don’t remember signing up for Soldiers Angels. I think someone else signed me up. I don’t mind. I am starting to get flooded with e-mails though. I try to answer all the e-mails but sometimes it takes time. I never get any letters though. I do from time to time get care packages from grateful people out there. I hardly ever get any letters though.
Well, today I got two letters and I think it was because of Soldiers Angels. I bet the other guys in the platoon were jealous. If they do I’ll send them right over to Soldiers Angels. It’s so nice getting a letter though. Sure I like getting e-mails but it’s not the same as getting a letter. A letter is more physical. I could actually touch and feel the letter and envelope. I know that someone has sat down and wrote something out on a piece of paper, put it in an envelope, and mailed it to the post office. It’s a lot more than just sitting at a computer and typing away.

I don’t mind typing e-mails. I’m a faster typist than I am a writer. But it’s really nice to get a letter once in a while. I’ll have to write these people back and let them know how thankful I am to hear from them. It’s so nice to have pen pals.

4 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

Linked to you via Mudville Gazette & wanted to send a quick comment. :)

I'm a member of Soldiers' Angels & I'm on the Letter Writing team. I receive new soldier names each week to write to & it's nice to hear you've received some snail mail from fellow Angels. You will make their day when you write back!

Glad to have found your blog! :)

6/24/2006 8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete
What you wrote is more motivation to me as a Soldiers Angel to continue writing those letters!

Thank You! for posting this!:)

6/24/2006 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pete

I saw this link at Soldiers' Angels forum and thought to check out and see your site. Great site! I'll bookmark it and come back. I also belong to LWT and get 2 names weekly and I just love it. I have learnt English since age of 9 and kept up with it by pen palling when I was 9 years old. I've always loved writing and being in LWT was so automatical to me.

I know you must hate the sun there, it's just too much, ay? We Finnish aren't used to that kind of heat, so I would probably melt there.

Anyway, you take care there and maybe I will get your name too one day to write to! I hope!

Greetings from Finland

Taru

6/25/2006 6:52 AM  
Blogger A Guy on his Journey said...

Melinda, I'm sure they'll be happy to hear back from me.

Kathi, keep writing those letters!!! Don't quit!

Taru, Greetings from Iraq!!! Thanks for the wonderful comment. Keep on writing and you'll have English down in no time!

7/02/2006 2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter