Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father’s Day

Tiger Woods’ Father just passed away a couple of months ago. He always pushed Tiger as a child at golf. Not only that but to be a good person too. He was there, mentoring Tiger every step of the way. Earl was there everywhere Tiger went. I remember something that Tiger said at the time of his Father’s death, “Without my Father I would not be where I am today.” It makes me think about my Dad. He’s from a little town in Michoacan Mexico. He immigrated to the US long ago when he was young. Anyway, I think he tried his best to raise us and be a good Father. His English was never that great but instantly improved while we grew up. Now he’s bilingual. He speaks, writes, and reads in English more now than he does in his native Spanish.

He’s worked labor jobs his whole life. He’s spent most of it doing diesel maintenance. He worked long hours for little wages. There were times when he had to work graveyard shifts. There were other times when he worked swing shifts. I hardly ever got to see him then because he was always working. When he was home he spent his time relaxing, mostly either reading the Bible or some technical book.

Sometimes I regret that my Dad never spent more time with us. I think he’s spent more time with my younger siblings than me. It was hard when he started out, especially making a living in a foreign country. But he’s done it.

I know that he’s worked real hard in life. I don’t have to be selfish and wish that he‘d taken me to soccer practice or on school field trips. I understand that he was trying to raise a family to give us everything we need. I think he’s done a fine job. We’re all grown up now. My sister, the youngest sibling, is now an adult. Now I think my Dad could take it easy and focus on his retirement.

I wanted the opportunity to take this post and recognize my Dad. I appreciate everything he’s done over the years to this day. Now it’s more advise than anything else. But I know that he is there and he will always be there. Like Tiger Woods said, “Without my Dad, I would not be where I am today.” Happy Father’s Day Dad.

5 Comments:

Blogger PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

Amen Sarge. In a world filled with stories of "bad" dad's, it's important to recognize the power of a hard working, honest living man who strives to raise good children in a troubled world.

6/18/2006 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day!

6/18/2006 2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A delightful tribute to a good man and a good father. Mine has been gone more than half my life (I'm pretty old) and I'm still so thankful that he was a good, caring, hard-working man. I miss him still.

6/18/2006 3:51 PM  
Blogger kbug said...

Nice tribute to a hard-working dad..... :)

6/18/2006 7:23 PM  
Blogger A Guy on his Journey said...

I think all the good Dads out there deserve a Happy Father's Day!

6/24/2006 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter