Saturday, June 17, 2006

113°


That was the high today. It’s typical of the temperature this time of year. The hottest it’s been is 116° I think. It’s been hot and dry almost daily. There’s no break. I can’t remember the last day it rained. I think the whole unit is used to this weather though. It’s nothing new for us coming from Arizona. The only thing is dealing with the heat while wearing all of this gear. It only makes things worse. It would be nice if we could go out with shorts and a t-shirt.

I don’t see how these people do it but they do. How do they put up with living in this heat? They go through it daily without the amenities of A/C. The only things most of them have to cool off their houses are swamp coolers. And a lot of their cars don’t even have working A/C.

They don’t know any other whether. I doubt they’ve been anywhere else besides the Middle East. At times I find them packed on buses heading somewhere. I wonder where they’re going sometimes. Sometimes I think they’re traveling to neighboring countries like Syria, Iran, Turkey, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia. Where else do they go? I know they’re going somewhere because the buses they travel on don’t look like local city buses, more like travel buses.

How else do these people get around? I’m sure the wealthy and more fortunate ones fly from the airport here. Sometimes I wonder where they’re going too. Saudi Arabia comes to my mind. Why not? It’s the centralized location of all Muslim religion, Mecca.

All I know is that it would suck to not experience a different climate in a lifetime. All they know is desert, this dryness and heat. At least in the States we could go from one climate to a completely different one.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog the other day, courtesy of Friends of Milblogs webring...I appreciate your frequent entries. My husband is in Iraq right now and he doesn't tell me much other than "it's hot". Well..."HOW HOT IS IT?!" lol 116! Now you're speaking my language.

You mentioned Arizona. We were stationed there - Davis-Monthan AFB. I imagine that the Iraqi's put up with that type of heat in the same manner that I did when working the flightline in AZ without A/C. You just get used to it. Of course now that we've been in WA state and Utah for several years, I'm sure I'd shrivel up and die the moment I stepped foot into the Arizona desert!

Your job is dangerous. Please stay safe. And thank you for your dedicated service. You are appreciated more than you probably realize :)

6/17/2006 9:23 PM  
Blogger A Guy on his Journey said...

Thanks for your appreciation! I'll keep my head down and watch my six.

6/24/2006 12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter