Monday, June 26, 2006

Written Up

Well, I guess I’m going to get written up but I think it’s a joke. Seriously, it’s not a joke though, I’m just kidding. I just mean that I don’t think the situation holds water. Let me explain what happened. For one let me tell you that our driver T-Rex is a big instigator. Everyone knows that already. Well, we just happened to be pulling rear security on our morning mission. Well on the way back T-Rex mentioned to the Colonel that I wasn’t looking to our rear. That was true. I’ll go ahead and mention why I do that here because I don’t think it’s too much of a security risk. Well maybe but it’s just my own Tactic, Technique, and Procedure. When I stand up I like to stand to the side and look at oncoming and rearward traffic. I don’t want to just look to our rear because I’ve always been trained to watch my six. I don’t want to pass some dude in his car with his window down when he could just pull out a gun while we’re driving by and shoot me in the back of the head. That’s why I like to see what’s coming.

The Colonel, that’s not his rank actually but just a nickname, yells, “Are you watching our back?” “Yeah” I reply. When we got back to the clearing barrels at the FOB I wanted to explain to him the reasoning behind why I look forward. I explained it to him but he really didn’t want to listen. I could tell. He said that it was just an excuse. I come up with those from time to time and he thinks they’re just excuses. So I told him fine but if I could only look to our rear I’m going to get down. He didn’t say anything.

This afternoon when we went back out I did as I said I was going to do. I got down in the turret. I’m sure that upset him because when we got to a different FOB he said, “SGT. Puebla, come here, we need to talk.” I knew what he was going to talk about, me sitting down. I don’t see what the problem is with it because lots and lots of other units do it. I just think he likes to micro-manage. Not only that but he gets instigated from T-Rex.

“You need to stand up in the turret.” He says. I told him, “Well, I’m not going to sacrifice getting shot in the back of the head for standing up.” “Then you’re going to get written up”, “Fine.” He didn’t say anything more then that he didn’t want to discuss it any further.

Well, upon leaving the FOB, I wasn’t going to go back on my word so I stayed down in the turret. It does not at all deter me from doing my job. It’s just that I’m not as vigilant and ready sitting on my ass as much as standing up. So once we leave the FOB he yells, “Stand Up! Stand Up Pete! Stand Up!” So then I tell him, “I thought you were going to write me up?” “I will!” He replies. “Then I’d rather get written up.” He doesn’t say anything more and I know I’ve disobeyed him but there really was no reason for me to get up other then for his own pleasure. You could ask other gunners out there and they’ll say that some of them are down all the time.

We get back to the FOB and he doesn’t say anything more. Good. I’m glad we settled it. I’m going to get written up, fine. I’m still going to explain the situation to the Platoon Daddy. I mean, even if he sides with the Colonel at least he’ll hear my two cents. Well this is just my side of the story so take it for what it’s worth. There’s always two sides to every story.

4 Comments:

Blogger Papa Ray said...

Some of the Gunners have field welded old hummer windshields up around the gun positon.

For what that's worth.

Continue the Mission.

Papa Ray
West Texas
USA

6/26/2006 10:31 PM  
Blogger dyzgoneby said...

Some of the crap that you guys get "counseled" or "written up" on is BS. I think that the "higher ups" have a large stick up there butts and forget that there is a, wait are you ready for this.....A War going on. And this also goes for the MPs on the FOBs giving out tickets.

Just my lil ol 2 cents from this civilian, supporting ya'll.

Keep up the postive attitude, it will get you a lot farther.

6/27/2006 7:06 PM  
Blogger dyzgoneby said...

FYI, my other half is an MP at TQ and he has mentioned a time or two, if you send him "over there" don't give him some BS job of writing tickets, he can do that stateside.

6/27/2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger A Guy on his Journey said...

You know, I was thinking of installing the Pope Glass on the turret. I might do that. The only problem is that the Humvee starts to get top heavy and it also adds to the weight thats already there.

I agree that some of the stuff we get counseled on is illegitimate. I have no problem getting 'written up' when it's justified. The only thing I feel I did is disobey. I was looking out for my own saftey. The good thing is I have a lot of people that agree with me.

That's cool to hear that your other half doesn't want to do that BS job!!! LOL!!!

6/28/2006 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter