Thursday, June 29, 2006

What a joke!!!

I got written up earlier this week. Well, today I got informed that tomorrow I’m going to the NCO of the Quarter board. Wow! Thanks for the short notice. Note the bit of sarcasm. Yep, you heard it right. I was told today that tomorrow I’m going to the NCO of the Quarter board. Wait a minute. How can I, who just got written up for my behavior, get sent to a board recognizing those with outstanding leadership? Who the heck is running this show??? And another thing, why do we have review boards out here anyway??? We’re in a combat zone. Besides doing my job on a day-to-day basis I have to take time to study for a board? That stuff should be left for people back home in garrison.

Well, at least I have less then 24 hours to study instead of a few weeks. That gives me less time to study. I don’t expect to make a good impression there anyway and if I do I’ll be completely surprised.

So now I’m off to go and study for the board tomorrow. I’m sure they’ll ask questions on current events, my chain of command, and some stuff on basic soldier skills. I’m not going to study too hard. What could they expect? I was given a short notice. Do they expect me to win the board and go on to the Brigade level soldier of the quarter board?

I know it may sound like I have a bad attitude but really; I’m just trying to be realistic.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won NCO of the Quarter once but that one was based on how well my package was written. I've gone before lots of boards before and I've found that you needn't necessarily know the answer to the question they're asking. Stand or sit at attention, make full eye contact with all members of the board, smile and portray confidence. Bullshit them when it comes to the answer. I don't believe I knew most of the answers to the questions when I went before those boards but I always did really well, regardless!

Good luck to you and I agree, who ever heard of something like this for soldiers in a combat zone?!

6/29/2006 10:11 PM  
Blogger A Guy on his Journey said...

That's for the advise.

7/02/2006 1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter