Friday, July 14, 2006

About Yesterday

While I was talking with the 1st Sergeant yesterday he told me to start doing some follow-ups. He told me to ask questions. I know I could but it would be easier if I knew what to ask questions about. He suggested that I let The Colonel know where I’m going just incase there was somewhere else I needed to be. He said that I should ask questions that suggest if there was anything I should know about like, “I’m going to the gym, is there anything coming up that I should know about.”

Well, today I felt like kicking myself in the butt. I was in the chow hall during lunch and I noticed something odd. There was hardly anyone from my unit in the chow hall. I thought it was weird. I ate and started seeing guys later on. As I left one of the Sergeants from the unit stopped me. He said, “Why weren’t you at the NCOPD.” That’s Non-Commissioned Officer Professional Development. “When was it? Where was it at?” I asked. He told me and again, I was a little upset. I got over it quickly but it was one of those things that I had told 1st Sergeant yesterday. I think there’s a communication breakdown and I’m not getting informed.

I remembered telling him about the communication barrier that’s there. But then I remembered what he told me too, about asking questions. I actually did know about the NCOPD today because the 1st Sergeant told me yesterday when I was chatting with him. Maybe I should’ve asked The Colonel some questions since I already knew that it was today. I just didn’t know what time and where. I have to get into the habit of getting more information.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bro. Bartleby said...

What ever happened to the old army bulletin board? In the old days, outside the CP was a bulletin board, and the company clerk was responsible to post anything and everything on it, especially announcements. And everyone made a point of checking it out several times a day. Seems like you guys communicate by word of mouth and the grapevine ...

7/14/2006 10:50 AM  
Blogger A Guy on his Journey said...

We have one. It's a write board but it's just that no one ever reads it. Maybe that's because we're too lazy to walk all the way over the the Platoon Sergeant's room to check it out.

7/21/2006 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter