Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Toby Keith

“I appreciate everything you do for Me.” –Toby Keith.
Toby Keith came by our camp yesterday to perform a concert. I’m not really a county music fan but I figured I’d go ahead and check it out. I appreciate it anytime a celebrity takes time to come to the other side of the world to see us. I mainly went to listen to some music. I love listening to music, especially live music. I knew it was country but I didn’t care. He’s like one of the most popular country music artists out there and I wasn’t going to pass up the chance for a free concert.

Hundreds of Janes and Joes showed up to see his live performance. I heard that he’s been touring all over Iraq. He’s been doing concerts all over and this is like his forth time to Iraq. He mentioned that he even recognized some faces, the faces of soldiers that have been here on a previous tour.Although the concert was short, only 45 minutes, it was very intimate. It was really personal. It began right after sundown. The weather was just perfect. It was almost like going to a concert back home. The only thing missing was the beer.

He seemed to be inspired by what we do and what has happened after 9/11. He’s written some of his songs since then about us. He seems to honor everything we’ve given up to serve our country. And he seems to believe that we are a great country because of the brave men and women we have. I think it makes him proud to be an American.
Thanks go out to USO for setting up the event and Toby Keith to coming out to perform for us.

I may look short in the photo below but I’m not that short. I was standing in a decline. Toby is a big dude though.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bro. Bartleby said...

Pete, you are standing TALL!!!

5/31/2006 11:15 AM  
Blogger dyzgoneby said...

Anyone that has seen Toby know's how huge he is. That is way cool, but then again I have always been partial to Toby Keith.

I can't wait until September when he plays around these parts. My kids and I are huge fans.

Just a Cali Girl who loves Country Music.

5/31/2006 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pete did I tell you that Toby Keith went to high school with me in Moore, Oklahoma. He was a junior when I was a senior. He's a big Sooner fan too. I have to admit I didn't know him as we had over 1,000 in just my senior class at school. And I am not a big C&W fan either...but the older I get the easier it is to listen to...and it is clearly the most patriotic group of musicians.

Beanie babies are on the way my man!

6/01/2006 8:29 AM  
Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/02/2006 11:00 PM  
Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

And Toby Keith just doesn't say that to the Janes & Joes, either... at his concerts back here in the U.S. he talks loudly and proudly about the soldiers "who do what they do so I can give concerts like this and you all can listen to whatever music you want" and he asks his audience to symbolically "raise up your glasses against evil forces" and dedicates his song (with Willy Nelson) "Whiskey for My Men and Beer for My Horses" to "everyone who goes out and puts it on the line for us every single day". A true and grateful American patriot. And, yes, what you do really does make him proud (me, too!)

6/02/2006 11:01 PM  
Blogger A Guy on his Journey said...

Thanks Bro. Bartleby.

Paul, I think you might have told me about Toby Keith, I'm not sure. That's pretty cool that you went to the same high school as the guy. I'll be on the lookout for the Beanie Babies!!!

Some Soldier's Mom, you must be a big Toby Keith fan. That's exactly what he said to us, "raise up your glasses against evil forces, whiskey for My Men and Beer for My Horses, to everyone who goes out and puts it on the line for us every single day." I'm glad we make you proud too.

6/06/2006 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter