Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sweltering

It got hot today. The sky was mostly clear and partly cloudy. I expected it to get a little hot. It’s almost like being back home. It just feels like summer has come early. At times I find the kids getting wet in the canals in the afternoons. The women are still, like always, picking crops. The men are mostly hanging around marketplaces or herding sheep.

Nothing really exciting happened today. We didn’t encounter any IEDs, Thank God. One of the Sergeants was betting that we’d hit two of them and that one of the vehicles would become disabled. It never happened. He would’ve lost if he bet. We did come upon some cordons where we had to wait for clearance when it was safe to pass. I think the Iraqis get frustrated with cordons too but they learn to deal with them. It’s better than getting killed. They’ll usually get out of their vehicles since most of them don’t have air conditioning and wait in the shade. I find that sometimes they begin to group together and just sit and socialize, right there on the road.

Relatively, for the day it seemed pretty calm. I heard no sporadic gunfire or IED explosions. Sometimes I think we’re just lucky though.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here by way of JP. What part of Phoenix? I grew up near Glendale:) And it's already gotten hot here too, but at least I don't have armor!

5/24/2006 11:40 AM  
Blogger Dinah Lord said...

Hey Sgt Pete - I'm back for more!

You know, my Dad always said he'd rather be lucky than smart. I tend to agree with him so I'm vibing you some luck, bud.

Great site and excellent post as usual. Been thinking that your being a PHX homeboy would serve you well at this dreadful time of year in Iraq. (Yeah, but Iraq sure as heck ain't PHX, is it?)


I lived up in Sedona for a couple of years back in the 90's. I sure miss being in Zonie land.

Stay safe, Soldier. May God be with you and yours as you go about your days and nights.

Cheers - Dinah

5/24/2006 4:12 PM  
Blogger kbug said...

Talking about the Iraqis getting out of their cars and socializing at the cordons makes me think of times that the traffic comes to a standstill because of an accident on the freeway. People get out and mill around in the middle of the interstate talking to their neighbors...might as well enjoy the downtime..... :)

5/25/2006 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter