Thursday, October 27, 2005

Another Long Day

We have a long day coming up tomorrow. We have wake up at 0330. Early, very early. Tomorrow is basically our last day of training with this portion of preparation for deployment. We have a few more training events coming up but this phase is just about through. I’m almost glad.

We have a lot we have to do tomorrow and we have many preparations to do. They’ve moved my position a few times and now I’m with the platoon lieutenant. It’s nothing new for me; I’ve been attached with an officer before. I find it more difficult for myself because there are only three of us on our vehicle so I almost have to control all of the other tasks that come up as it pertains to the crew and make sure it gets done. It’s not a bad job for a sergeant; it’s just that it’s the driver and me as the crew. It would be both easier and better if we had another person with our vehicle.

To add to the difficulties, I’m also the only crewmember that is combat lifesaver qualified. It wouldn’t be that much of a problem but my position is also gunner. I can’t do both jobs at the same time. Something is going to give and I think it’s a good lesson the lieutenant is going to learn. I think that’s good because we’re all here to learn something anyways.

Tonight was also a late night. We got back, got our turrets lubed for tomorrow, and dropped off all our gear in the barracks. Went to chow, drove the vehicles to the motor pool, and then cleaned weapons. It really gets dirty up in the turret. My weapon was covered in a layer of dirt from all of the driving around. I knew that it was going to be a nightmare to clean. There was dirt everywhere and to top it off the command wanted us to leave our feed trays open which caused even more dirt to get into the parts of my weapon.

Well, I’m off to sleep now. I have to get up early. I can’t wait for tomorrow to be over with. I hear that the weather is going to be colder than it was today. It is starting to get a little colder outside now and it feels more and more like winter is coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter