Monday, October 02, 2006

Broken Gun

We made our frequent trip back to Ramadi today. It’s not bad and by now, I’m used to it. The trip out wasn’t bad, thank goodness. It was almost non-stop. We only stopped once and that was because some Marines were checking out an IED. Other than that, there was nothing exciting about the trip there or the trip back.

Before we left Ramadi I noticed a problem with my .50 cal. It’s not the same .50 cal I’ve always had. We turned in our old .50 cals last week and withdrew these new ones. They’re not actually brand new, just newly issued. Well I noticed while assembling the gun that the barrel didn’t lock into the receiver like it’s supposed to. I was able to twist the barrel back and forth with the bolt forward and it’s not supposed to do that. I’m sure the gun would’ve worked and my only guess is that by some chance the barrel would’ve shot right off too. I wouldn’t know unless I tested it out but then again, I don’t think it would’ve happened. Still, the gun does have its problems so tomorrow I’m going to clean it up and turn it in so the armor could look at it.

I’d rather get the gun replaced if at all possible. There’s just something I don’t like about this gun and I like my old gun better.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lib said...

a blog from a soldier in iraq, cool

10/02/2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Rico said...

Sure hope you're still using that Shield, Bubba, Mark One Mod 0. Especially if you insist on using a Ma Deuce whose barrel flies off when you fire the damn thing... If I can find the old cartoon by Bill Mauldin where the soldier is saying (of his 105mm) "There's sumpin' wrong with my shootin' iron" I'll send it to you. Sounds like you need to carry that to the armorers along with your .50 problem.

10/03/2006 4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the usual grumble.
If it's new it doesn't feel right and if it does, then that's something of a worry too.

Take it back - you betcha.

10/08/2006 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter