Saturday, July 22, 2006

How will it end?

I’ve been thinking about it. Soon, a few months for now, we’ll be leaving. Our time here is coming to an end in a couple of months. It seems like the time is flying by now. We still do our missions on almost a daily basis but I think most of us are tired and worn out. We were expecting a change but that may not be happening. I could mention that later but for right now because of security concerns, I can’t.

I thought about where this blog will go. The reason I created it was to keep friends, family, and the internet community informed on what it’s like to be over here on a daily basis. This is just my perspective. This isn’t the overall perspective of all soldiers in Iraq. Other parts of the country are different than this place. It would be like any part of any other country. No place is the same as the other. These are my view from my place and observations around western and northern Baghdad, Fallujah, Ramadi, Taji, and Balad.

Where will this blog go once I leave? Unfortunately it’ll come to an end at the end of my deployment. This blog has turned into so much more for me. I’ve met people that e-mail me and tell me that they read it every day. People from all over the country and parts of the world like Finland and Holland e-mail to show their support. It’s connected me with a lot of good people out there. It’s pretty weird that I’ll probably never meet these people in person but I know them well enough.

So, in saying this, I still have some time. There is still time for people to come and visit on an occasional basis. But when I get home I’ll have no time to blog and I’m sure people don’t want to hear about me going back to my boring life with my boring 9-5 Monday through Friday job. Where's the fun, excitement, and danger in that? Where is the thrill? I’m not going to comment on my overall experience over here. I’m going to save that till then end.

I’ll go back to my daily routines when I get home. I’ll spend the time I would’ve spent blogging with my boys. I’d rather be with them and raise them to be men than anything else in the world. They are the future and they are what I leave behind. The will be the product of all of my efforts.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right when you go home we more than likly will not hear from you again. So it has been supporting our soldiers, when they go HOME we don't hear from them. They go back to their families and a different life. I read your postings every day. Have gone back and looked at old ones before I knew you.

7/22/2006 3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My blog is currently -mostly- dedicated to my life as a military wife to my 3 children & I as a military family and reports from my husband in Balad, and there's no doubt that once my husband returns, things will be different in my blog-land. But you know, there are plenty of people interested in the day-to-day life of a soldier. I hope that you keep blogging - surely you'll get enough "down time" to blog a few days a week. We have 3 children and to say that our world revolves around them would be an understatement. But for 10-20 minutes a day, we do have some time to ourselves.

Anyhow, you do what you feel is best but I'm sure that there are lots out there who'd love to continue to read about what you do, day in and day out :)

7/23/2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger kbug said...

It's always so exciting when one of you guys makes it home safely...it helps make the reality of Seth getting home seem more likely, too. It's also sad, though, because the blogs usually stop...if not right away, withing a few months. It's so hard to lose touch with someone who has become a part of my everyday life..... :)

7/24/2006 9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete I don't get by as much,now that I'm back working full time,so just saw this posting today.

While it makes me sad that your 'voice' will disappear from the blogosphere after you return home, it's no surprise.In the last two years, I've seen it over and over again. I am just grateful that you chose to share this time in your life, and we had the privilege of reading it!

Take care, and safe home soon!!

7/30/2006 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter