Monday, January 09, 2006

We went through the mean streets of Baghdad today.

The streets were packed with traffic and there were people everywhere. I was wondering where most of the markets and the people were. The traffic was another thing. People honking their horns everywhere and they drive anywhere they want. The sidewalks were crowded with people going from market to market. Traffic circles were abounding. Was it scary? Not really. Not with all those people around. Sure I was constantly looking everywhere but it wasn’t too bad. My eyes were scanning everything while I looked for possible targets. The thing that worries me the most are IEDs. I’m not really worried about anything else. Well, maybe gunfire.

We went everywhere. If the road was blocked with traffic we just made our own road and crossed the median. Then we would drive against traffic on the opposite side of the road. We were getting everyone out of the way so we could get to our destination. It didn’t matter what they were doing, they all have to yield to us. We own the roads in Baghdad.

Most of the women I’ve seen so far have been farmers up until now. I thought all the women here covered up. I guess not. Most of the women in the Baghdad market place dress like westerners. They didn’t cover up as much. That’s the only difference between the women there and where we usually operate. The men dress alike almost everywhere. They wear the usual, pants, shirt, and shoes.

Met some guys from Peru in the IZ today too. Didn’t expect to meet any Spanish speakers here. They spoke a little English so I found myself talking to them in Spanish instead. I thought it would be easier for them to understand then English. They were really cool guys. Funny too. They weren’t afraid to talk behind someone else’s back. That’s what made it funnier. As soon as a person would turn around they would make fun of them. The always found something to talk about.

I wish I could've taken a picture of the streets of Baghdad today. They were really crowded but that didn’t stop us from going wherever we wanted. T-Rex was going to pass me his camera but he didn’t want to get into trouble. See, I shouldn’t be taking pictures. I should be looking for enemy activity. Too bad. Maybe next time.



As you could see here, we piss just about anywhere. This was one of the Joes in Kuwait. LOL! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter