Monday, October 23, 2006

Familiarization

The weather wasn’t bad today. It was cloudy for most of the day with some very light rain. The weather has also been cooler, which I really appreciate. I can’t believe how nice the cool weather feels. It’s almost refreshing. So refreshing that it almost makes me want to move to someplace cooler. I’m glad the days of hot weather are long gone and even the rain is starting to feel a little nice. That’s as long as it doesn’t pour.

We went on some more missions today, showing The Hoosiers around Baghdad. I tried to talk and explain to the guys as much as I could think of. I did end up getting a little frustrated though. Well, maybe I wasn’t frustrated, just upset. That’s because we did some things that were ate up that I don’t think we should’ve done. The team in the lead truck of our patrol just came back from Ramadi. There have been some changes on the roadways and such. They just decided to put an inexperienced driver at the head of the patrol. I brought it up at the AAR. I recommended that the lead element have the most experienced and best driver, that way they don’t get lost. There’s nothing wrong with Ses’ driving, he just hasn’t driven here in a while. Stuff has changed since he’s left and came back.

This evening, on the way back to camp, I noticed these teenagers on the street with an AK-47. There were about five of them standing around a parked car on the side of the road. I was wondering at the time whether it was the real thing or a toy. I wasn’t sure and it was hard to tell. As soon as they saw us coming they put it away. I kept an eye on them though. I was waiting to see if they were going to try anything. Now that I think about it, maybe we should’ve stopped them. It’s not my decision though. I just reported it to my team leader, as I should. It’s not my job to convince him into investigating those teens. But, thinking about it now, they were trouble and I’m sure we could’ve easily confiscated that weapon from them. That’s only if they didn’t decide to make our day.

I was sitting in the tent this evening, after I ate dinner chow and showered to type up my blog. That’s when this girl arrived to talk to one of the guys here. It surprised me because we never get girls around here, especially around our tent. I’m right at the doorway so I asked what she needed. I had seen here before in the mess hall during a lunch one time. She mentioned that she was here for someone and I told her that he went out to the phone center. I figured she say thanks and walk away but she just stood there, silent. I didn’t want to be rude but I was curious as to why she just didn’t walk away. There she stood, looking into our tent, checking out as much as she could. Her silence caught me so I wanted to find out what else she wanted. She didn’t talk much and was pretty reserved.

So I got up from the cot, turned my laptop off, and walked to the doorway. I started a little chitchat but I really wanted to find out why she hadn’t left. There was something she wanted and I knew it. I kept repeated that the person she was looking for wasn’t here and that I’d let him know that she had come by. After I spoke to her for a little bit, she finally opened up. She mentioned that her husband had left her. Tears had begun to run down her face. That’s when I thought, oh God, not this and why me. She opened up to me, a complete stranger. Why, I don’t know. Maybe she wanted someone to talk to.

So I listened to her and asked her questions. I tried to understand her situation as best as I could. I recommended that she talk to a Chaplin but she mentioned that she had already tried that and it didn’t work. She needed help and I could tell. I had a long deep chat with her. It’s not one that I’d prefer to have but felt I had to do. I felt I had to give the best advise and direction that I could. I told her about my life experiences and my relationship with my wife and my buddies over here. I tried to talk her into finding some friends over here, true friends, someone she could talk to. I was a little worried at first and I have the feeling that she’s depressed. I don’t know. I’m no therapist. Heck, I’ll probably need therapy at home after this.

I think she’ll be ok. There’s no telling how her relationship goes. Her relationship all depends on how her husband and her work together. I told my buddy that she came by when he arrived. I let him know about what she told me. He already knew from the conversation he had with her earlier. I’m glad she was looking for someone she could talk to. I don’t trust her with that weapon of hers. Hopefully, she’ll be ok. I hate having to take care of even these things over here. I’m no Chaplin or counselor.

4 Comments:

Blogger katiescarlet said...

That was nice of you to not turn her away or just leave. When someone feels like that, they usually don't expect answers or perfect advice, they just need to vent.

God bless
Stay safe
Thanks!!

10/23/2006 3:00 PM  
Blogger Rico said...

Sgt. Pete:
So, was that a Charlie Chaplin she was supposed to talk with? (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) Glad you took on the role, anyway. It's the human thing to do. But if she's so depressed and/or upset that you don't trust her with her weapon, I would think a good sergeant would either take it off her or find someone who will...

10/23/2006 8:43 PM  
Blogger Rico said...

Chaplain. With two a's. The guys with the crosses on their collars. Sky pilots, they called them in my day.
Chaplin. With one a. Little guy with a mustache. Did silent movies.
Spelling is everything...

10/23/2006 8:45 PM  
Blogger A Guy on his Journey said...

Roger, Chaplain with two a's. Sorry about that. Still can't believe she opened up to a complete stranger like me. Who in the heck does that?

10/24/2006 2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter