Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Kids

I love little kids. I don’t know why that is. I don’t know what it is about them. It’s just that they always bring a smile to my face. I’m always happy to see them. It’s always something of a blessing to see them because there are no kids on any camp in Iraq. Anyone stuck on this camp without going outside the wire would never see a kid. I guess it would be sort of strange for some to go a year without seeing a child.

I see kids almost everyday so for me it’s almost a blessing. I’m fortunate to have the job that I do in Iraq. At least I have the opportunity to leave camp unlike others.

I met this little boy today. He was hanging around with his Mom while she was doing some laundry. I waved to him and tried to get his attention. I thought he was cute. I didn’t have any toys to give him at the time. I usually have candy but I didn’t even bring that with me. So I gave him one of my Harvest Power Bars and a bottle of Gatorade. He was very excited about it. Then I asked his Mom if it was ok if I took a picture of him. She was ok with it. I wish I would’ve got a picture of the both of us but that might make my own boys jealous!

So I shook his hand. He said a few words but I had no idea what he said. I shook his hand. I asked him what his name was but I knew he wouldn’t understand. So I waved and said bye. I repeated it several times and finally he repeated what I said. He said bye too and waved his hand. I also gave him a thumbs up and he gave one right back to me. I think to the Arabic culture the thumbs up gesture is something obscene but I don’t care. To us Americans it means something good.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dinah Lord said...

Awww. Thank you for the lovely post (and for all that you do in service to the good old U S of A and it's grateful citizens.)

Thumbs up!
Dinah

5/03/2006 11:19 AM  
Blogger Luv2Box said...

You're not only brave for what you do everyday, but you're also incredibly kind. Thanks for the great posting and may you know that you have tons of support back home! God bless you and all that you do!

5/04/2006 6:30 AM  
Anonymous Fitzwilliam said...

Thanks for reminding us that you and your comrades are there with ordinary citizen Iraqis on a regular basis. It's really a shame that so few of us at home realize what a powerful image of kindness and caring you present to the people every day. Stay well, and THANKS!

5/05/2006 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter