Thursday, April 27, 2006

Little Kid

That’s what I had to deal with today. He’s a young punk. I’m talking about Private Pennis. I’ll refer to him as ‘The Kid’ from now on. The reason I say that is because he’s worse than my kid brother. I take that back. My brothers were never as bad at his age. He’s worse. He’s the same kid that’s always playing the guitar in his room. Today while I was walking outside I saw him hitting rocks at his door with a baseball bat. “What are you doing Pennis?” “I’m trying to get on Sesis nerves.”

I had the unfortunate circumstance of having him assigned to me today. I didn’t think it was bad at first. That was until he started playing with the siren in our truck. He’s honk as we were passing people by on the FOB just to scare the shit out of them. Then later today while going to chow he was told about his hat. He was wearing it up like a ball cap. I didn’t notice it, someone else in front of the chow hall told him. It was embarrassing for me because I should’ve seen his uniform.

Well, the kid was my gunner today. I’m sure he’s not a bad gunner. He just acts like a kid. I have to remind myself to watch him. I don’t want him getting any of us into trouble. I’m sure he wouldn’t shoot any innocent people but it wouldn’t surprise me if he shot some sheep or cows. That’s all I’d need to hear about.

As for everything else, I’m starting to get more responsibility. I wouldn’t doubt if pretty soon they made me commander on our missions. I’m already giving mission briefs. I don’t mind. I’m not as embarrassed as the other guys to get up in front of a crowd and give them directions. At first I didn’t feel empowered. But now, I’m starting to feel it and I like it. It gives me a sense of leadership or authority. It also helps me build confidence and self esteem. For that reason, I’m not giving excuses when given the chance to step up. I’m going to take charge and lead the way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Papa Ray said...

Good for you, but remember with responsibility comes the need to be fair.

Yea, I know, what's fair in the Military, but you know what I mean.

The best NCO I ever met said to me one time: "I'll brook no disrespect, especially from myself."

Continue the Mission.

Papa Ray
West Texas
USA

4/28/2006 3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter