Saturday, December 17, 2005

Why we call them Hadji.

If you’ve ever grown up in the 60’s or 70’s you may remember an old cartoon called Johnny Quest. It was the adventures of Johnny with his pals, Hadji, Bandit, Dr. Benton Quest, and Race Bannon. The one friend of his, Hadji, was a middle easterner. Well, Joe, in all his infinite wisdom has come up with a name to stereotype all of the Arab people, hence force they are called Hadji. I’ve heard that some Muslims may take offence to that. Reason being, Hadji is one who makes the pilgrimage to Mecca just as the Mohammed did. For Muslims it is a very honorable thing to accomplish. So that’s the short story behind the whole Hadji thing so if you hear me speak of a Hadji, it’s just Joe slang for either Iraqi or Arab.


Ok, that’s enough about The Adventures of Johnny Quest, on to my little adventures. Well, there wasn’t much to say about today except the behavior of some of these kids. I’ll go on to explain what happened. I was giving out some candy and goodies to kids but I didn’t have enough for everyone so I was being a little frugal. I had to pick and choose whom I felt like giving goodies and candy to. Some of the kids would wave their hands and beg for candy or something for me to give them. Well, there’s this one kid who I didn’t give anything to. He waved hello and I waved hello back but I didn’t have anything to give him. I was running low on supplies. So I decided to pass him by. Anyways, as soon as I passed him I turned around to see him flipping me off!!! The nerve of that little punk! I’ll remember you next time. Don’t ask me for anything. Sure some of the kids are like that here. They know all the obscene gestures and foul language.

Oh, and one last thing. I can’t believe how hard it was to take a mid-morning/afternoon nap. We’d get people knocking on our door constantly while we were trying to sleep. The minute I started dreaming about the Wonderland someone would knock on the door. Wake up! Don’t fall asleep! And not lightly, mind you. They would bang on the door as if there were no one home. I just had to say how frustrating it is to get a little sleep around here during the day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Our kids pat and paw at you, telling you how beautiful you look and then ask to sell you gum :P The one time I started to offer something to them, they all lunged forward to grab the water spritzer bottle I had before I could even get the words out!

12/17/2005 7:39 PM  
Blogger Blondage said...

I can't believe that kid flipped you off! Crikey!!!

I really enjoyed reading your blog today. Fascinating observations. I love the way you write.

"The highlight of my day" even made me cry.

Stay safe!!!

*hugs*

12/18/2005 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter